Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Intermezzo: Jamaican pumpkin soup


During my whole stay in Canada, I've only cooked once. I've eaten so much junk in this past month that I'll have to eat really healthy for quite some time when I get back (except for the big chocolate birthday cake my grandma is baking for my return, you couldn't expect me to pass on that one). Anyway, while staying at Jozina's I decided to cook - I had some time on my hands, pumpkins were cheap on the market and I felt the urge to produce something with mine own hands - and since the result was a real success, and since Claudi asked me to put up the recipe, here it comes:

Jamaican Pumpkin Soup

2 pounds peeled pumpkin (about 6 cups)
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup
light coconut milk
(4 ounce piece pickled or salt pork )
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 bay leaf large
1 sprig thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
(1/4 teaspoon ground allspice)
1/4 teaspoon salt
(hot chile pepper to taste (Scotch bonnet) )

"In large pot, combine all ingredients . Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until pumpkin is very soft.
Remove pork, thyme sprig and bay leaf. "

So, I didn't follow the recipe in all parts, I left out the pork (vegetarian roommate) and the allspice (where the heck was I supposed to get that? although, in Montreal, I probably could have got it in the shop around the corner...) and I used two cups of coconut milk and one cup of water less, and I added two potatoes. Turned out really well. Hmmm.

1 Comments:

At 4:52 AM, Blogger claudi said...

Thanks a lot! Been to the market yesterday in order to buy some pumkin, but there weren't any. So, guess what, I'll go to the supermarket tomorrow. Brave new world... ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home