Thursday, June 07, 2007

PEI the second

I've just left this most beautiful island of all to go to Halifax, where my flight to Edmonton is leaving tomorrow. I'm staying over at Meredith's place, a girl who studied linguistics with me this past year. She's in Edinburgh at the moment, so I don't actually get to see her. But I can sleep in her room. Which looks cosy and the bed is soft and inviting...and before I fall asleep, let me update this travel blog. When I came back from Souris on Monday I stayed in most of the day after walking around Charlottetown for a bit, because I really felt rathre low and had a real cold coming on. That night my hostel decided to cook lobster, and I watched the process of cooking the poor things (inbetween watching a couple of other poor Things on TV lose the Stanley Cup to Anaheim). I went to bed early because I wanted to be ready fo r my tour to Cavendish the next day and felt quite ok the next morning. Contrary to the weather forecast the sun didn't let us down on Tuesday so I had a splendid tour across the island to Cavendish, home of author LM Montgomery, the surrounding villages and beaches. I got to visit "Green Gables", took a stroll through Lover's Lane and took at least 40 photos of the landscape (I felt guilty because I had used my camera rather sparingly the other days). Had really scrumptious potato pie with a bacon/maple sirup sauce at one of the restaurants around cavendish and got to tase delicious lemon curd. hmmm. Went to bed earl, though, because the cold caught up with me that night. Decided to stay in bed Wednesday to gather strength for the weekend, when I was scheduled to go west. Since I did feel much better Wednesday afternoon, went for a walk along the shore/board walk with Kiwi and Hanni and Nanni (that's how I call them in my mind, they're really called Lizzie and Lizzie and hail from England). Andie, should you read this blog, one of the Lizzie's has just graduated in drama and took part in the Old Vic-New Voices programme last year as an assistant director (and yes, she got to meet and almost work with Kevin Spacey. You should so try to get into that programme if you can. never mind you're older than 25. you're perfect for the position). Anyway, we enjoed ourselves at the beach and spent the night watching Ottawa's last final painful breaths before losing the game to Anaheim. I've never watched that much hoceky in my life. Is hould go get some sleep now. Why? Because of the drama of last night. I had two guys and a girl from Saskatchewan stay in my dorm last night and one of the guys got drunk in his inhibition-lowered spirit told the girl he loved her. Should I mentio nthat she was with the other guy? Anyway, she tried to comfort the drunken guy until 5 in the morning, which was precisely 1 1/2 hours before I had to get up. You can imagine how muh sleep I got. Nothing against a good story, unless it interferes with my beauty sleep, which is holy to me, esp. when recovering from the evil sniffles.
Oh, lest I forget. I learnt a few very important small talk fun facts> The expression "Sleep tight don't let the bed bugs bite
" apparently originates in a time when people used to have rope instead of wood as "Lattenrost" for their beds. So wooden frames with rope running from one end to the other end, on whcih you put the mattress. Now, when the material the rope is made of stretches and loosens, you got to tighten the rope and make a new knot in the bed. The bed bugs part is mroe obvious, seeing that people used to fill their beds with straw, which did contain bugs...
Enough wisdoms for today, sleep well, beloved readership, I'll get back to you soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home